Beginner Baby Blanket Tutorial – Super Quick and Easy!
This easy baby blanket tutorial is such a quick and easy sewing project that even a beginner can tackle. In this tutorial, you will learn how to make a baby blanket that is soft and cuddly. It only requires two pieces of fabric and the ability to sew a straight line.
Watch the video tutorial below or scroll down for the written instructions
What You Need
- 2 pcs fabric measuring 42″ x 42″ each
What type of fabric can you use?
Technically you could use any type of fabric for this but since this is a baby blanket, you do want it to be soft and cuddly.
- We used flannel for one of the blankets (front and back) and for the other we used a combination of flannel (for the front) and Minky (for the back).
TOOLS USED IN THIS TUTORIAL
You can check the latest prices at Amazon by clicking on the links below:
- Creative Grids Ruler 8½” x 24½”
- Olfa 24″ x 36″ double-sided healing mat
- Olfa 60mm rotary cutter
- Oliso Iron
- Gutermann Sew-All thread
- Place your two pieces of fabric right sides together and pin together.
- Sew around the edge with a ½” seam ensuring that you leave an opening on one side that measures around 5 or 6 inches.
- This will allow you to turn the blanket through.
- Backstitch at the start and the finish as this will help to secure the stitches when you are turning the blanket through.
- Clip the corners as shown in the video in order to reduce the bulk.
- This will help to create nice crisp corners.
- Reach into the opening and turn the blanket through so that the right sides are now facing outward.
- Press around the edges of the blanket and around the opening.
- Watch the video above for more info on how to do this.
- Now sew around the edge of the blanket with about an 1/8″ seam. This will enclose the opening.
- You could also use a fancy stitch here if you prefer.
- Your baby blanket is now complete!