Connor’s Caterpillar Heavy Hauler Truck Construction Quilt
For my eldest great grandson’s birthday, I decided to make him a quilt featuring the Caterpillar heavy hauler truck, construction quilt.
Putting the Quilt Together
- I got a bit carried away with the borders and ended up with a quilt measuring 70″ x 90″, quite a large quilt for a young man. I keep telling myself that it will last him for a few years.
- The first thing was to trim up the panel. I decided to keep as much as possible of the black outer edge.
- I felt that keeping the black border added depth to the next border which has the yellow construction trucks printed on it.
- This border was 3 ½” finished.
- I decided to add a 1.5″ yellow border next, just to keep the color theme going and to brighten up the next border which is a 4½” mottled grey material.
- Then I added another 2″ black border.
- Everything was coming together nicely, but now the quilt was becoming too square, so to make it more of a rectangle I added the black and yellow “construction” stripes to the top and the bottom of the quilt.
- These construction strips measured 5¾”.
- Then it was just a matter of finishing off with a 6″ border featuring heavy construction vehicles.
- The back is dark grey with spots and I added a yellow stripe for interest.
The Finishing Touch.
- Then it was time to have the quilt top quilted.
- Chris from Sew ‘n’ Sew Sisters quilted the quilt with construction vehicles and machinery. You can see the detail in the picture below.
- She used a silver thread and it really makes the quilt pop.
- I have to say that as always I just love the way she quilts my quilts.
- The next time you are looking for someone to quilt your next quilt I highly recommend Chris.
- Once it was quilted it was time to trim the quilt and bind it.
- I decided to use black binding. I looked at using the yellow or the grey but decided that the black definitely added depth to the design.