Toddler Quilt – Baby Quilt – Kawaii Owls Quilt Panel by Riley Blake
The first thing I did was to cut off the label strip that runs along the bottom of the panel. I have used these on a number of kids quilts as I think they are quite cute.
For some reason a lot of quilt panels are skew-whiff and so it is necessary to straighten them before you can do too much with them and this one was no exception.
- So it was just a matter of finding a line on the pattern that was straight then placing the ruler along that line and trimming the panel.
- I trimmed the panel leaving a ¼” all round the outside edge.
I decided to leave the panel in one piece.
Depending on the panel I will sometimes cut the pictures apart, as I did with Heath’s Construction quilt but I thought this one looked cute just as it was.
I added an orange/yellow border around the panel. And then a larger turquoise blue border with the orange corners.
- For the back I made a checkerboard panel in the turquoise and orange, just to add some design interest.
- I ditch stitched around the inner border and then simply quilted the quilt with a diamond pattern.
- I finished it off with a binding in the same color as the blue backing fabric.