We have been asked a number times now, what is a Jelly Roll? So we put together a quick video to show you what you get in a Jelly Roll and what you can use it for.
Watch the video tutorial below
- Jelly Roll is a term coined by the Moda company for rolls of fabric that measure 2 ½” in width.
- These strips are cut across the width of the fabric and vary from 42″ – 44″.
- There are generally 40-42 strips in a Jelly Roll, but this can also vary, sometimes you may get 44 strips.
- A Jelly Roll of 40 gives you approx. 2¾ yards of fabric.
So why is it called a Jelly Roll?
- Well when the strips are wound up and neatly bound with a fabric tie, it looks like a Jelly Roll.
- Remove the fabric strip that binds the strips together.
- You can use these fabric ties in your projects, I have even seen a quilt made from these ties.
- Unroll the strips.
- The strips are color co-ordinated and will all be from one designer.
- Moda has a number of fabulous designers and among my favorites are Blackbird Designs, Me and My Sister, 3 Sisters and Barbara Brackman, but these are just a few of the talented designers that create the awesome range of Moda fabrics and Pre-cuts.
So what a Jelly Roll does for you?
- It saves you from having to find a number of different fabrics that are color-coordinated.
- It saves you having to cut all the strips – which can be time-consuming.
- It can be used for quilts, bags, clothing, table runners and cushion covers, in fact, any project that requires 2½” strips.
Where Can I Buy a Jelly Roll
- The Fat Quarter Shop has a nice selection of Jelly Rolls
- Amazon has some lovely Jelly Rolls.
- Annies also has some really nice Jelly Rolls
Here are some examples of projects we have made using Jelly Rolls.