We have been asked a number times now, what is a Jelly Roll? So we put together a quick video to show you what you get in a Jelly Roll and what you can use it for.
Watch the video tutorial below
- Jelly Roll is a term coined by the Moda company for rolls of fabric that measure 2 ½” in width.
- These strips are cut across the width of the fabric and vary from 42″ – 44″.
- There are generally 40-42 strips in a Jelly Roll, but this can also vary, sometimes you may get 44 strips.
- A Jelly Roll of 40 gives you approx. 2¾ yards of fabric.
So why is it called a Jelly Roll?
- Well when the strips are wound up and neatly bound with a fabric tie, it looks like a Jelly Roll.
- Remove the fabric strip that binds the strips together.
- You can use these fabric ties in your projects, I have even seen a quilt made from these ties.
- Unroll the strips.
- The strips are color co-ordinated and will all be from one designer.
- Moda has a number of fabulous designers and among my favorites are Blackbird Designs, Me and My Sister, 3 Sisters and Barbara Brackman, but these are just a few of the talented designers that create the awesome range of Moda fabrics and Pre-cuts.
So what a Jelly Roll does for you?
- It saves you from having to find a number of different fabrics that are color-coordinated.
- It saves you having to cut all the strips – which can be time-consuming.
- It can be used for quilts, bags, clothing, table runners and cushion covers, in fact, any project that requires 2½” strips.
Where Can I Buy a Jelly Roll
- The Fat Quarter Shop has a nice selection of Jelly Rolls
- Amazon has some lovely Jelly Rolls.
- Annies also has some really nice Jelly Rolls
Here are some examples of projects we have made using Jelly Rolls.
Pam Bye says
Thank you so much for your quick reply to my question as to what a jelly roll actually is and its measurements. I am going to try your bargello bag using a jelly roll. Will let you know how it turns out. Regards Pam
Happy to be able to help. We would love to see your bag when you have finished it Pam. We have a readers page where we show photos of our readers projects. Here is a link https://www.alandacraft.com/submit-your-project/. These bags are really so easy to do and they look great. 🙂
Could you use a jelly roll for binding on your projects too?
Alanda Craft says
Yes, you can do that. We tend to use a 2 1/4″ width binding but 2 1/2″ will work as well.