We recently purchased a Brother Scan n Cut Universal Pen Holder and promptly set about testing a number of different pens to see what worked and what didn’t. I have to admit, that initially, I was doubtful that very many of the pens we have on hand would actually work with it.
Well, we were pleasantly surprised because we found that a number of our pens not only worked but they worked extremely well. So with this in mind, we decided to write up a blog post so that our readers who either own the universal pen holder or are thinking of purchasing one, can see at a glance which pens will work.
We will add to the list over time as we purchase different pens. If you have any pens that you have successfully tried, please let us know in the comments field below and we will add them to the list.
Pens that work with the Brother ScanNCut Universal Pen Holder
- Uniball Signo Broad UM-153 Gel Ink Pen
- Sharpie – Extra Fine Point
- Sharpie – Ultra Fine Point
- Pentel EnerGel Liquild Gel Pen
- Uniball Insight 0.7mm Fine Pen – requires masking tape
- American Crafts Metallic Marker Broad Point
- Uniball Eye Fine UB-157 – requires masking tape
- Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens B – requires masking tape
- Staedtler Pigment Liner 0.3 – requires masking tape
ALSO SEE BELOW FOR PENS THAT HAVE WORKED FOR OUR READERS
In the picture you will see that some of these pens required masking tape as they are too thin to sit securely in the holder. These are numbers 4,6,7 and 8.
PENS SUGGESTED BY READERS
Listed below are pens suggested by our readers (see comment section below) that have worked for them in the Universal Pen Holder. I have added some links where you can check out these pens on Amazon. (Note that we get a small commission from Amazon at no extra cost to you.)
We haven’t tried these ourselves as yet, but there is nothing quite like a personal recommendation from someone who has.
- Crayola Supertips – doesn’t require tape – recommended by Raquel
- Tsukineko EMBOSS Dual Pen – recommended by Avice
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pens – recommended by Liz
- Sharpie Ultra Fine Point – recommended by Avril
- Staedtler fineliner (the triangular shapes ones) work with masking tape also – recommended by Mandy Hodges
- “The coloured Zig Millennium ’02’ pens that draw fine lines and also fit very easily into the UPH. They work well when using infill into lettering on the ScannCut” – recommended by Sue Edes
- STAEDTLER Lumocolor Universal Pen, Fine, Felt Tip – recommended by Melanie
- Kuretake Zig Millennium Drawing Pen is an excellent range of drawing pens with an unusually wide choice of tip sizes and ink colours. Water-based pigment ink is light-fast, waterproof, acid-free, archival-quality, non-bleeding, photo-safe and odorless – recommended by Sue Edes
- 005 tip produces a 0.2mm line
- 01 tip produces a 0.25mm line
- 02 tip produces a 0.3mm line
- 03 tip produces a 0.35mm line
- 05 tip produces a 0.45mm line
- 08 tip produces a 0.65mm line
- Pilot FriXion Point – for Australian & NZ readers – recommended by Louisa. You will find the links to other pens Louisa has used in the comments section below.