We were recently approached by the guys at Lone Star Laser, to take a look at their pre-cut, pre fused appliqué quilt kits.
Of course, we said yes we would be delighted to, and they sent through 4 designs for us to choose from. We chose the ‘Campers’ design by Amy Bradley, simply because it’s really cute and it fits in with our Aussie lifestyle. Like many Americans, Aussies love to go away on weekends in their camper vans. So this design resonated with us.
The kit comes neatly packaged in a plastic bag which keeps everything neat and tidy.
So What’s in the Kit?
- The kit includes all pre-cut, pre-fused appliqué pieces for 8 blocks and pattern for a quilt measuring 40″ x 54″.
- The first page is a picture of what’s in the kit. In this case all 8 camper van quilt blocks. On the reverse side, it tells you about the fusible web and what to do with your pattern pieces.
- The next page tells again shows the completed quilt and also lets you know that there are 10 different family members patterns included.
- Next is the Camper Material List. This lists all the material sizes for each of the pieces included in each van, and it also tells you what extra materials you are going to need, such as the Background, sashing, inside border, outside border and the binding. You will also need some batting or Wonder Under.
Camper Van Blocks
- Now each of the pre-cut pre-fused Camper blocks comes in their own separate plastic bag. This is just awesome as you have somewhere to keep all your pieces neat and tidy as you work. In the bag is another smaller bag that contains the white pieces such as signs, wheel trims, etc.
The block size is 14″ x 18″.
On the back of the picture for each block is the blurb about the fusible web. It’s such a good idea to have it included with each block so that you have it right there in front of you as you work.
There are sheets of patterns for each camper van plus placement sheets so that you know exactly how everything should line up.
Camper Family Wall Hanging
Now, this is a real bonus. Included in the kit are pictures of the camping family and the welcome wall hangings.
There are the pattern pieces and placement sheets for Grandad, Grandma, Mum, Dad, and 4 kids, plus a dog and a cat. trees and a tent. With these patterns you can make a lovely wall hanging from your choice of materials. And these wall hangings will look lovely hanging in your van or on your wall at home, to remind you of the enjoyable times you have when you are camping.
Or you can make a wall hanging measuring 18 ” x 18½” using one of the camper van patterns and the word Welcome. The lettering for Welcome is also included in the kit.
We found the easiest way to put the pieces together was to photocopy the placement sheet, place our backing material on top of the placement sheet and pin the pieces to the backing, making sure they lined up with the placement shown on the placement sheet.
Don’t pin as you normally do but just stab the pins through the fabric. It’s just to stop the pieces moving around until you are ready to press them into place on your backing.We found our wool pressing mat ideal for this.
- Once you have pressed the pieces into place, following the instructions given in the kit, you are ready to appliqué.
- Use whatever method suits you, some like to hand appliqué others like to use a blanket stitch on the sewing machine. The choice is yours.
Add any embellishments to make your design pop. Di added hot glue rhinestones to the van for the lights and it really looks great.
We really recommend that you check out the range of pre-cut, pre-fused appliqué quilt kits at Lone Star Laser. They have over 100 different pre-cut, pre-fused appliqué kits available by a number of designers.
I have to add that as these kits are so well laid out and come with such comprehensive instructions, they are suitable both for beginners and for those who are experienced at appliqué.
Here you can see how Di (from Sew ‘n’ Sew Sisters) put together the pink Camper and how she has used hot fix crystals to add some pop and bling to the design.
Here is the video showing you the Camper Appliqué Quilt kit and how we put one of these cute blocks together:
Giveaway – NOW CLOSED
The awesome people at Pre-Cut Appliqué have given us a pre-cut, pre-fused ‘Campers ‘Appliqué Kit to give away to one of our lucky readers.
What you need to do.
Simply tell us why you would like to win either in the comments below or in the comment section on our Youtube Channel.
This giveaway is open to everyone worldwide.
We will select the best response as our winner.
Your entry can be humorous, serious, thought provoking, heartfelt. Give it your best shot and good luck to everyone who enters.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If you are the winner you are required to contact us within 24 hours or the giveaway will be redrawn.
* The giveaway closes at midnight (PDT) 9 April 2016 and the winner will be contacted after the draw via messaging on YouTube or via email if you have left your comment on our website here, so please check your messages.
* The prize winner will be posted in the description field below this video.
* Entries must comply with the YouTube Community Guidelines http://www.youtube.com/yt/policyandsafety/communityguidelines.html, entries which do not comply will be disqualified.
Please note that Youtube is NOT a sponsor of this giveaway.
No personal data will be collected for this giveaway. However, we will need the name of the winner and their postal address once the giveaway is drawn so that we can send out the prize.
Here is the video showing you the Camper Appliqué Quilt kit and how we put one of the blocks together:
The winner of our Giveaway is
Try appliqué my friends all say,
but I can’t manage the traditional way.
But in a land o’craft the answer’s easy!
A kit that makes it oh so breezy.
All cut out and ready to stick,
under the needle, done so quick!
I’d love to try to make a camper,
so here’s hoping I win the hamper!
Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to enter. You all made it really hard to chose a winner.