One day you may buy a quilt kit and when you get it home it’s not quite what you were expecting. Well that happened to me. Some time ago I bought a quilt kit which I intended to make up for one of my great grandsons. When I got around to opening it, I was a bit disappointed as the pieces didn’t seem to go together, there was no coherent theme, the instructions were awful and it was just looked like a lot of mismatched, uneven scraps.
I actually considered tossing it in the bin. But Paula insisted we put the quilt together. So I set about cutting the pieces into two sizes of blocks. I found that there weren’t actually enough pieces of material to form all the blocks and I needed to add some extras from the good old scrap stash. I also had to introduce another colour to make up the 4 patch corner blocks.
As you can see I edged the larger blocks with smaller blocks. I did consider putting sashing between the larger blocks but it didn’t look very good, so after a bit of discussion we decided to just go with the mish mash of blocks. It’s great to have someone to hash out designs with over a cup of tea.
Like everything, once I started putting it together, it became more appealing and by the time I had the border on, I was quite pleased with the result.
I ditch stitched around the inner border and just finished with a diamond pattern across the quilt. I think the design is fussy enough so it didn’t need too much quilting.
- Diamond Pattern.
- Thought I would take a photo of the back. Should have hung it a bit better. I just need to iron it and send it off.