Learn How to Start a Craft Blog
Watch the video below and you can have your craft blog up and running in
UNDER 30 MINUTES!
Save this page as we will be adding more advanced videos over time.
Watch the video and read the steps below on how to start a craft blog
STEP 1: Choose Your Domain Name
Choosing a domain name is your first step. Here are some tips to help you decide.
- Choose a short catchy name to make it easy for your fans to find you
- Although it’s not entirely necessary, using a good keyword can help with your rankings – for example, if your site is about quilting then you might want to use that word as part of your domain name eg: marysquilts.com
- Avoid using hyphens and numbers in your domain name
- Choose something that is easy to remember
- If you already have a YouTube channel then try and match your domain name to your YouTube channel.
STEP 2: Sign Up to Hosting
You will need a hosting company in order to host your website. A hosting company provides the storage space for your blog. We have a number of websites and use either BlueHost or Hostgator for our hosting. If you sign up we with either of the hosting companies below we will receive a commission which helps to support the running of this website and it’s very much appreciated.
STEP 3: Install WordPress
WordPress is THE most popular blogging platform – it’s simple to use, there are plenty of free and paid themes to change the look of your site and a ton of plugins to add different features to your site.
- You will need to watch the video to see how to install WordPress. It’s really quick and easy but you will need to purchase your webhosting first, so go back to Step 2 if you haven’t done that already.
Step 4: Choose a Theme
There are plenty of free themes to choose from and it is super easy to change a theme at any time.
- To choose a free theme for your site click APPEARANCE —>THEMES in your WordPress Dashboard and choose from one of the many themes. (Check out the video for more detailed step-by-step instructions)
- We use the Genesis theme for most of our websites and highly recommend it. It is a paid theme but it is one of the best. You can read more about the Genesis theme here.
Step 5: Write Your First Blog Post
Adding a blog post to your WordPress site is easy. Simply click on POSTS –> ADD NEW from your WordPress Dashboard (check the video for more detailed step-by-step information)